The thirty-ninth and final volume of the Library Edition of the Works of John Ruskin, one of the greatest works in the history of editing, was published in May 1912. This display marks the centenary of its completion, only nine years after the first volume appeared. The editor was Sir Edward Tyas Cook, one of this country’s great but unsung men of letters, who made his mark in journalism as editor of the Pall Mall Gazette, the Westminster Gazette, and the Daily News from 1895 to 1901. His assistant in the edition of Ruskin – still regarded as definitive – was Alexander Wedderburn, a former pupil of Ruskin’s at Oxford.
The Ruskin Library houses the largest collection in the world of material relating to Ruskin, and the display will include books, photographs and archives, alongside many of the drawings and watercolours used as illustrations in the Library Edition, such as Ruskin’s Rosslyn Chapel, Walls of Lucerne andBrezon, looking towards Geneva. Illustrated are drawings of Brezon (top) and Lucerne (lower), and the matching plate from the Library Editon.